Sunday, July 28, 2019

40 Days of Prayer for Education - Day 3


Day 3:

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV)




I saw a post on Facebook today from another teacher who is very anxious about the upcoming school year.  She described the reasons for her worry and ended her post with the question, “Should I be this anxious?”  I’m glad she received comments that encouraged her and gave her advice instead of just brushing off her concern with a “You can do it”.  The stress that new teachers and teachers that are changing grade levels or schools can be overwhelming. The fear that develops can be debilitating and crippling.  Unfortunately, when one gives in to it, it hinders them from trusting and allowing God to be God. 

Two days ago, I shared that everything about the upcoming school year is new for me. The process of starting all over, packing up twelve years of teaching from my former school, (well… twenty-three total… I’m sort of a packrat) and going to another division, school, and grade level seriously took me through every emotion.

Let me backtrack… the fear that I wouldn’t be hired because I’m not a young teacher bringing in a wealth of new methods and energy to learn a whole lot of new ones gripped me.  The fear that the only offer I would get would be at a school I didn’t want to teach haunted me. 

                                      But God took me through…

He held my hand and sat with me through every interview (good and bad) and He blessed me with a job.

                                      However, my fear didn’t stop there…

I’ve been scared, really scared about starting this new position at my new school.  Everyone around here who’s heard me utter its name has not said a single positive thing about it.  I’ve also been scared, really scared about not finding a new house before school starts.  Everyday was filled in some kind of way with doubt and anxiety about my future.

But let me share something that I’ve been taught, and that the Lord called back to remembrance.  The word fear has been broken down into this definition:
                                               


When I heard a minister preach a word about our God-given purpose, I realized the devil really must not want me at that school to continue pestering me so much.  It was the enemy who was presenting false evidence against the word of God over my life. So, I got busy praying first for my mind and then for my new assignment, that I would be faithful to it and fulfill God’s purpose.  I also was reminded that God has no intention of harming me and His plans are ultimately for my good. The same goes for you too.  However, we must stay obedient, stay in His presence, stay faithful, and stay patient.  He is faithful and just and only gives good gifts. Jesus is not the one who gave you or I the fear we may embrace at the start of a school year or a new anything. Jesus is the One who has given us His power, His love, and His mind.

Join with me in praying today’s prayer:

Dear faithful and loving Lord Jesus,

We look to You today as the author and finisher of our faith.  We know You to be all-knowing and loving to Your sons and daughters.  We, however, do not always trust Your plans for us.  We sometimes accept the lies of satan as real and shake our heads in disbelief at the possibilities and willingness of Your abilities while trembling at the fear of the unknown.  Jesus, help our unbelief!
We ask you to bless those teachers going through major changes with Your peace…that peace that passes all understanding.  Bless our teachers who are new to the profession with the resources of time, energy, finances, lesson plans, and wise counsel to prepare for this school year. Bless our teachers who are changing grade levels with the resources of time, energy, finances, lesson plans, understanding of the new standards and unity with their new coworkers.  Bless our teachers who are changing schools and divisions with the resources of time, energy, finance, an understanding of the curriculums, unity with their new coworkers, and favor with their administrators.   Even now while we pray, we lift up ________________(name someone to whom this may apply) and speak a removal of their doubt and fear and release Your peace and power in their life.  To You who are able to do exceedingly abundantly above all we can ask or imagine, according to the power that works in us, to You be all the glory, honor and praise.

In Jesus’ name,
Amen

 
The Lord is with you and you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment