Sunday, March 20, 2016

Guest Blogger: Dr. Dalene V. Parker

This blog post was originally posted on April 15, 2015 on WordDoctor13.com and is being submitted with permission on behalf of Dr. Dalene Parker.  Please enjoy! 



Lean and Clean


Lately I've been impressed to set and pursue goals differently--measured not by checklists or due dates, but by words.  Powerful words.  Basically, I choose a word which represents a quality I REALLY NEED in my life and then begin to think of each day's activities and choices in terms of whether or not they move me away or toward that quality in my life.  
            For example, a few years back, I really needed BALANCE in my life (Still do, at times).  It is easy to mire up in what others perceive or even push to be my priorities. I find that by seeking FIRST God's wisdom and direction for each day, He provides a beautiful balance where all mental, physical, and emotional needs are met and strength is sufficient.  Even if chaos ensues, calm reigns.  
            CONSISTENCY is the next quality I chose to pursue.  Although I definitely don't have that one down yet, I am moving in that direction.  I want to be consistent in preparing meaningful lessons, being on time, providing nutritious meals, exercising regularly, treating others fairly, staying on budget, meaning what I say, and keeping commitments.  Whoa!   Not even close to possible for my "sidetrack" self without His grace and the mentors He provides along the way.
            For this season, the words LEAN and CLEAN have become my mantra.  Used as verbs, they remind me to take care of my body and declutter my schedule as well as my work and home environment.  I also need to LEAN on my Strong Rock for stability and my closest friends for support.  Priscilla Shirer's Bible study called Breathe convicted me of the need to CLEAN the clutter from my classroom, my car, my basement, and my calendar.  She advocates a "Sabbath" mindset which means we set boundaries, leave margin in our lives, and move away from overdoing.  This requires trusting the Lord of the Sabbath to provide for us the "manna" we need as we rest in Him.  
            It may take years for me to see these quality words fully activated, but His Word reminds me that "being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1 :6). I'm leaning on that promise today.  How about you?

-Dr. Dalene Parker


I hope you have enjoyed this week's guest blogger, Dr. Dalene Parker.  Dr. Parker is a National Board Certified Teacherteaches English, Creative Writing, Journalism, and Public Speaking to high school students. She delights in encouraging and assisting teen writers with publishing their work.  Dalene’s passion for biblical literacy fuels her desire to use God’s Word as a way of optimizing life, work, and relationships. Author of Christian Teachers in Public Schools and numerous faith-based magazine articles, Dalene lives in South Carolina with her family. She and co-author Linda Gilden look forward to the release of their new book Words to Live By (Worthy Publishing/July 12, 2016).


I encourage you to have a blessed week.  Do as Dr. Dalene suggests. Choose a word to set your mind on becoming.  Philippians 4:8 tells us what things on which we are to meditate and 2 Peter 1:5 admonishes us to multiply in the mindset of God so that we can increase in His knowledge.  The Holy Spirit will lead you to the word you need.  Just ask and become!

Please enjoy this week's song, I Am by Eddie James.  Knowing who Jesus is can better help you realize who you are and who you need to become.  Also, click back on our Resource page at the top and view the weekly video.  Pastor Mike Ashcroft shares with us how to develop your one word.

The Lord is with you and you are loved,

Toni






No comments:

Post a Comment