Monday, January 18, 2016

We Interrupt This Prayer...

General Rule #763: Do not disturb a teacher on Saturday morning.
And yet, there was a knock on my door (a bold knock at that) interrupting my Saturday morning prayer time. After summoning the intruder into the room with a warning of, "There better be blood somewhere", my youngest child entered and blurted out, "There's something on my bunk bed you need to see!" 
Since she was too calm for it to be a bug, I asked her to explain what it was.  She headed out the door saying, "YOU need to see it".  
By this time, my husband had appeared since he thought her death was imminent.  The jury is still out on whether he was concerned for her safety from me or the mysterious object in her room.
Anyway, we both scurried behind her to her bunk bed where she slid onto the bottom and showed us a sticker under the top bed.  "Look! This says it causes cancer."  
My husband did an about face that would make West Point Academy proud and left me alone staring at an accusing ten year old.   

Although this was my kid, I had to use Grandparent Rule #64: You know everything even if you don’t  in conjunction with  Mommy Rules: #3 Never let them see you sweat and #78 Everything is dangerous for you. (This  rule is outdated and a hard one to use in this Information Age.)

I developed my poker face and turned into Conspiracy Mother and listed everything I know that can cause cancer or make a person ill.  (No comments please.  This is how my house operates.) 


"Well baby," I said in my sweetest voice, "You know water bottles?"  She nodded. I nodded too and said, "Has cancer causing agents."
"Margarine?" She nodded. 
"It’s a few ingredients away from being plastic."
 I rolled on.
“Cigarettes? …. Cancer.”
 "The sweet stuff in your fruit punch, sucralose? …not good either."  
"Sitting outside in the sun for a long time without sunscreen?”
“Uhuh,” she replied.
“That can cause cancer too."  Her eyes widened.
“Some people say that keeping a cell phone close to your skin over long periods of time can increase your chances of getting cancer too. Have you heard about that.”
 I don’t think she was prepared for this tirade.

"Babes, there are a lot of things that have dangerous items in them or can hurt us. Some we know and some we don't.  We need to be careful, but not afraid. Remember, God hasn't given us a spirit of fear."  
So I pointed to her bed and said. "Whatever is in there,  you are not allowed to make my child sick. In the name of Jesus, my child will continue to be as healthy as an ox." I winked at her and she laughed. "In Jesus' name, Amen."   "Thanks mommy", and off she went to eat her first breakfast. (My kids are Hobbits)

Well, I said all that to say this.  We could ( well, I know I could) spend all day hashing over the cause of the rise of the number of kids in special education, or the rise in the number of kids with allergies, illnesses, ADHD, ADD, ODD, and obesity. We can point our fingers at parents and say they aren't doing their job raising their kids.  Then we could point our fingers at the media and say they purposely are dumbing down America and keeping parents so wrapped up in Candy Crush, Facebook, watching reality shows on television, and the songs on the radio (don't even get me started on the music) that they have placed the well-being of their children on the back burner. Oh, and I can't forget to point my finger at the "government", who is behind the drug problems, racial inequality, lack of jobs and blah, blah blah...

The fact is this: there is a cause and a true enemy of the state of this world and his name is satan (no capital letters from me).  Yep!  I went there.  Just in case you didn't know, a war is continually being waged over the control of influence in various aspects of today's society: family, government, arts and entertainment, religion, economy, science and technology and education. (Check out the book - Seven Mountain Prophecy)  
1 Peter 5:8 says, "Be alert and vigilant. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." This is not written for us to be afraid, but rather to be aware, fortified and personally armored.  

So how does knowing this transfer over to you and I as educators?

When we encounter agitating situations and depressing events in our classrooms and schools, it is for us, the children of God, to not waste our time harping on the theories of who’s to blame.  We cannot waste our time on worrying and casting a fretful glance at the warnings of impending doom and danger.  
The bible lets us know that our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  In laymen’s terms, it’s satan’s undermining of the family structure that is the true reason why your student’s parents are they way they are.  It’s satan’s influence in our media outlets that affects what is projected across the airwaves. 

Thankfully, Ephesians 6: 13-18 explains this to us and provides the solution in three parts; be armored in God, stand with God and pray to
God.
1.Our armor equips us with salvation, righteousness, truth, peace, faith, and the Word of God. 2.Our standing with God is just that...standing. If we stand for God, He will fight on our behalf.
3.Our prayers activate the heavenly influence we have, through the indwelling of His Holy Spirit, to make changes that reflect the ways of heaven here on earth.

Yes, my special Saturday morning prayer time may have been interrupted, but it was renewed with a sense of redirection.   
Therefore, I interrupt YOUR prayer life right now for this important message...

Recognize both sources in prayer: exalt, thank and petition God and rebuke the enemy.
Declare that the source behind the discontent and frustration at school be defeated in Jesus' name. 
Join forces with another believer. The prayer of agreement is a powerful one.

Never forget. God will never be a defeat foe!  You will win! 
Have a blessed work week!  


The Lord is with you and you are loved,

Toni



Please enjoy this week's song entitled: We Are United






No comments:

Post a Comment