Monday, September 28, 2015

Sickness and Frustration Went on a Date Until.......

 I've been sick for over a week now and it hasn't been pretty. This "thing" has literally traveled throughout my body giving personal assignments to various organs and orifices to increase my discomfort. To add insult to injury, the mysterious creeping crud which originated from the lovely little ones at school, has spread to EVERY person in my household.                                                                                                                                                       Needless to say, last week won't go down in the records books as "the best week ever".  My focus has been off, my patience short and my smile quick to fade. Truth be told, I can't blame it all on being sick. I have a more challenging breed of students than I've had in the past few years and what's worked before just isn't cutting it. I've tried to be optimistic and positive, but that doesn't last long. 

In reality, however, optimism won't last long. A person's hope (especially one who claims to follow the Lord) can't be placed on a self developed mantra of, "It will be alright".  Unfortunately, that's what I was trying since I know frustration and feeling cruddy don't go hand in hand.  Well, at least that's what I thought! My "sickness" asked my "frustration" out on a date. They partied like it was 1999 for several days... until I read Psalm 73:16 and 17 HCSB

"When I tried to understand all this, it seemed hopeless until I entered God's sanctuary." 

These were the words of a Levite, a man of God who knew God's word, lived God's word, but was dismayed at the unfairness of things around him.  He spoke candidly, yet respectfully to God as He wondered why he was getting the short end of the stick.  The truth of the matter was revealed to him when he entered into the house of the Lord.  Now, I'm not saying that everything will be alright if you just go to church.  What I am saying is that this Levite went into the house of the Lord and was reminded of the holiness of God by what he saw.  He was reminded of the faithfulness of God by what he read. He was reminded of the goodness of God by remembering what he had been taught. He purposely sought the comfort and counsel of the Lord. Verse twenty three and twenty five go on to say:
"Yet I am always with You: You hold my right hand.  You guide me with Your counsel, 
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart, my portion forever."

At every turn in your life, whether it be a turn for the better or worse, your hope has to be built, as the hymn writer said, "on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness." In sickness or in health, go into the presence of the Lord to find your answers.  The world and it's fifteen thousand posts on Facebook will tell you that your answer lies deep within you, but, that's a lie.  The WORD of GOD teaches us to:


  not be conformed to this world [any longer with its superficial values and customs], but be transformed and progressively changed [as you mature spiritually] by the renewing of your mind [focusing on godly values and ethical attitudes], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His plan and purpose for you].    Romans 12:2 AMP

Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life.  He is the source of all that you and I will ever need.  His Holy Spirit in us will lead and guide us in all truth. While I truly thank God for TheraFlu, I know without a shadow of a doubt that it is Jesus who heals and gives me power to make every thought subject to Him.  I have to intentionally give my mind to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5) and pray for the transformation of my thinking and vision to see my health through His eyes (healed!) and my students through His eyes Isaiah 54:13 (attentive, engaged and knowledgeable).   

So to you, dear educator, as you welcome this new work week, remember to always consult God for every concern and give Him glory for every victory and join me in beginning each day as Psalm 73 ends, "But as for me, it is good for me to draw near to God; I have made the Lord my refuge and place my trust in HIM, that I may tell of all His works."

May the Lord keep you and protect you this work week.


The Lord is with you and you are loved,


Toni




Images retrieved from: http://lolsnaps.com/funny/37340
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/236368680416388617/
http://www.viewpoints.com/TheraFlu-Flu-Chest-Congestion-Powder-reviews
http://www.destiny.co.za/sermons/jesus-our-healer/
Video retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rOvz6lyhPQ

No comments:

Post a Comment