Monday, August 7, 2017

Day 13: Do This For the Least of These

Section 2: Refocus and Refresh

Join with us today and pray our prepared prayer on page 25 from the FORTY DAYS OF PRAYER FOR EDUCATION free eBook or pray independently from our focus scripture, Matthew 25: 34-36, 40 NIV and enjoy the accompanying song entitled, "Send Me" by Charles Billingsley, Scott Krippayne and Shannon Wexelberg.

Afterwards, ask God to focus your attention on a specific need of others around you today and pray for the strength, courage and provision to help. 



DO THIS FOR THE LEAST OF THESE


Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ 
-Matthew 25: 34-36, 40 



Our Father who dwells in heaven, 

Great is Your name, Your faithfulness and Your tender mercies towards Your people. You are our Creator and You, in Your omnipotence, are well aware of the lives of every person on this earth. You know where the obvious pockets of poverty are, and You know where poverty lies behind mounds of materials items purchased by credit. You are aware where the cold and hungry slept last night as well as those who are cold in spirit or hungry for Your presence. 

Jesus, You told us that when we feed the hungry, quench the thirst of the thirsty, tend to a stranger, clothe those in need of clothing, take care of the sick, and visit the imprisoned, we in essence are doing it for You. You called those we are called to care for, "the least of these". 

Lord, help us to realize that we are all in need of love and care from our fellow man. Increase the discernment of Your educators today to see what is needed physically or spiritually from those around us. We may see the obvious physical need, but we need Your help in addressing the spiritual famine, thirst, nakedness and imprisonment that our students and coworkers may be going through. 

Bless us with the resources, strength, willingness, and time to do this work. Anoint us anew with a heart for the "least of these". May we never get tired of serving You through serving them. 

In Jesus' name, 

-Amen