Thursday, February 9, 2017

A Teacher With Unclean Lips? Yep! I Need a BRITA Mouth!

There is something that God is showing me...again....and again.
 I have to watch my mouth!

No, I don't have what some call a "potty mouth".  Curse words don't roll off my tongue.  They do, sometimes,  get caught in my throat. I have sarcastic humor which artistically veils my displeasure and disgust. So while I teetered on my soap box,  proud that I don't curse like some of those around me,  God poked me and said, "YOU need a BRITA mouth!"
             Gasp!
I couldn't believe.... Ok, I didn't want to believe it.  But trust me when I tell you that when God tells you something about yourself, you're not really surprised.  You knew about your issue for some time because He's been telling you about your issue for some time.  You're just now actually acknowledging the truth! 

Back to topic at hand ...my dirty mouth.

There was a prophet in the bible by the name of Isaiah.  Isaiah had a vision in which he was in the heavenly Temple of God before the Lord Himself who sat on the throne.  Isaiah was so overcome by his sinfulness in the midst of the purity and holiness of God that he cried out, "I have filthy lips!" At once, a Seraphim flew over to him with a burning coal from the altar, touched his lips, and assured him that his guilt was removed and sins forgiven.

Why was Isaiah so concerned about his mouth?  He knew that as a prophet, He was chosen by God to be a holy mouthpiece. He lamented that his lips were filthy because although he could recite back the words of God to others, he knew that where those words flowed from (his heart) made his lips filthy.  Yet, in the spirit of a true intercessor, Isaiah was not only concerned about his own mouth but also for the mouths of those around him.  He exclaimed that he lived among people (people who were handpicked by God to be a an example to the world) whose lips were filthy as well. Filthy in that the words from their mouths projected the true depiction of their hearts which had strayed from God. They spoke just like those around them in a bitter, jealous, petty, rebellious, idolatrous, hateful, lying, boastful, and judging language. 

What are we speaking today?

Christian educators who are true disciples of Jesus have to realize the totality of our assignment in our school divisions. We are God's mouthpiece, for we are to speak as Jesus would speak, in love.  We are handpicked by God to be an example those who are around us,  "you will know them for their love for one another".  

So (finger pointing back at myself) when I speak sarcastically to and about students (no matter how much it makes my coworkers laugh), when I throw up my hands and throw up negative words of despair about my student's ability to improve, I diminish the power of God working through me for healing brains, making families whole, and anything else God wants to do for those He has assigned me to. I no longer look/act/talk any different from those around me and cease to be a light for Jesus. I 'm just a "church go-er" and can not be told apart from a "good person" who doesn't know even know who the true nature and power of Jesus. 

Sidebar: Drawing is not my ministry, but this is the picture God gave me concerning my language in my classroom.  I need to keep "coal" in my mouth as a filter to clean the living waters  He has already placed in me.  The living water will always be clean because its source is pure.  It's the pipes (my heart and mouth), however, in which the living water flows through, that causes the contamination.  Proverbs 4:23 says, "Guard the heart for it is the wellspring of life."   So what I really believe in my heart will flow out of my mouth at some point.  The purposes of our hearts are described as "deep waters" (Prov 20:5).  These deep waters flow from an eternal spring of living water that Jesus said is placed within us because of our belief in Him.  This eternal water spiritually connects to the River of Life that flows from the eternal throne of God.  It provides healing and is life giving. 
  "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4: 29 NIV    

Therefore,  as I move into  the heart of the month of February, I  have to keep into account what was discussed at My Data Meeting with God and the Others (see agenda topic #5) and keep my mouth in alignment with His word! 

Although I know what it looks like,  although I know what the assessment data portrays and I know the kind of answers my students submit on their test and how they reply in the class.... aaauuugggh! 

 if I want to prove that the manifested works of Jesus is 
actual, 
active, 
effective, and 
life giving.... 

I have to clean my mouth!!





No comments:

Post a Comment