Monday, February 15, 2016

Behind, Before and Everything in Between


It was a mid-winter, slightly overcast Sunday morning when my family and I headed off to church.  We did the normal bumbling out of the house in a shuffle of purses, bible bags and kid stuff.  

“Where are the keys?”  “Where is your sister?” “Get out of that van! Can’t you see you’re the only one in there?  We’re going in this one!” “Did you lock the front door?”  “Why are
 you taking that? You’re supposed to be listening during the service not doing your homework.” 


Finally, we all made it inside the van where I sat in my familiar seat behind my parents as the questions continued to fly.  “Did you put on lotion? You do know it can be applied anywhere below your navel!”  “Where are your socks?! You do realize it's winter?”  “Do you have your bible?...and why not?”

As the van began to pull out of the driveway (Yes, this all happened before we even began to move), my mother pulled down the mirror in the passenger seat and peered at me with a smirk.  With a mixed look of disgust and amusement, I shook my head and looked at the youngsters surrounding me. No, this bumbling, ashy, sockless and misguided crew wasn't my siblings, they were my own three kids and we were catching a ride to church after spending the night during our weekend visit.

I looked out the window at the familiar sights and remembered sitting behind by folks in our old van as a teenager and hearing my mom say those same words to myself and my four brothers Sunday after Sunday as she and dad corralled us out of the house  to head off to church. It felt weird sitting in my “daughter” seat speaking “mommy” words! My, how the tides turn!

It is a fact (especially for parents and educators) that there will come a point in your life when it seems as if Déjà vu collides with something new and holds you smack dab in the middle.  It could come is a situation in which you'll be asked to mentor to a new teacher although you may still feel as if you need someone to guide you.  Or it could be that you'll be asked to head a new ministry or class at church and you're reluctant to say yes because you feel as if you still have a lot to learn about the Lord before you can be a leader.  

That sandwiched feeling can also come when you find yourself teaching twenty five kids during the day and taking a college course with twenty five year olds at night, or even playing Florence Nightingale to your family as you hack and cough up a lung with a thermometer dangling from your own lips.

Even during these odd, ironic and seemingly quite stressful situations, God want us to know that He can and will take care of us! Psalm 139: 5 says, “You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.”  King David was aware of God’s love towards him to protect him and sustain him in any and all situations.  However, the realization that God was always before him and had been in every situation behind him was truly an overwhelming thought for he continues is verse six. “Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.” 

Are you sandwiched in between this teaching and tutoring time of the year as districts prepare for the wave of standardized testing in the spring? Well God's got your back, your front and everything in between!   Know that He has positioned Himself to keep you safe under the protection of His hand, the watchful gaze of His eyes and the direction of His Holy Spirit. Trust and lean on Him.  You'll be a better teacher, mentor, parent,or student because of it! 

The Lord is with you and you are loved.  Have a great work week!

Toni

Please enjoy this week’s song by Mary Alessi and Nicole Binion – “Overshadow Me”.







No comments:

Post a Comment